Style & Shopping
Shop Local! Shop The Beach Coast.
This holiday season (and in the coming year) we hope you’ll consider a gift or gift certificate from one of our advertisers. It is because of their support that we are able to bring you our online lifestyle/tourism magazine free of charge every month. We’re big believers in shopping local and hope our loyal readers will patronize some of our advertisers throughout the year. We also urge you to check out their websites (live links provided below) to learn more about these unique Beach Coast businesses and restaurants.
Click on the links below to learn more about each one of these Beach Coast Restaurants.
Beach Bum Jewels
This gallery/gift shop, located in Michigan City’s Uptown Arts District, will celebrate its first anniversary on December 7th. Mother and daughter owners, Linda Mickevicius and Jamie Kessler, offer a wide selection of handcrafted jewelry that will make perfect holiday gifts.
1. Authentic, rare red beach glass pendant bezel set in sterling silver. Beach or sea glass (also known as mermaid’s tears) will make a perfect gift for any sea siren. $190
2. Cobalt blue beach glass is the most popular color at Beach Bum Jewels. This hand-fabricated flower pendant features a piece of bezel set cobalt beach glass at its center. $85
3. Hand-crafted and texturized 14G sterling silver wire bracelet with two yellow beach glass marbles. $120
Valparaiso’s smartest boutique has been discovered by Beach Coast women seeking unique, stylish clothing that is well-made, and reasonably priced. Ivy Boutique also carries items for the home and bath, including a wide selection of gifts.
1. These adorable clutch bags will be the perfect accent to any outfit this holiday season and in the New Year. Depending on size and embellishment, they range in price from $25 to $65
2. Any Anglophiles on your list? These adorable pillows, plus holiday-inspired needlepoint pillows would make perfect gifts. They range in price from $50 to $95, depending on size.
Visit Ivy on Facebook
Owners Meg Caplice and Corbin Wagner work hard to find items for their shop that you won’t find anywhere else. They offer clothing and accessories for the discerning woman, plus jewelry designed by Beach Coast favorite, Julie Biehl.
Here are a couple of great winter looks:
1. Vegan fur vest from Melody $92; Sanctuary v-neck sweater $96; Paige dress denim pant $158
2. Black and White knee length belted dress coat from Vertigo $130.
Sawyer Garden Center
In addition to wonderful produce and gourmet food items, Sawyer Garden Center (which goes on forever!) carries clothing, accessories, gardening needs, birdseed and feeders, pet supplies and gifts, seasonal decorations, grills and outdoor furniture (think spring!), candles, cards, kitchen cookware, serving pieces and gadgets, a huge wine selection and so much more!
1. Fill your house with the fragrance of Frasier Fir! These beautiful candles make beautiful
gifts and there is a complete line of items in this fragrance from The Thymes,
including the pine cone candles shown, plus sachets, lotions, soaps, oils,
sprays and diffusers. Pinecone candle: $29.99
2. What Beach Coast resident or visitor wouldn’t be thrilled to receive a t-shirt or hoodie with a graphic of the Great Lakes? On the back of each one I says “Great Lakes, Great Times” and they range in price from $24.99 to $49.99