Supreme Court Chief Justice Roberts
Speaks at La Lumiere Commencement
1. Chief Justice Roberts, La Lumiere class of '73, returned to his alma mater on May 24th to deliver the commencement address to the largest graduating class in the history of the school. A very large crowd gathered in the Marsch Gymnasium to hear the school's most famous graduate who went on to become our highest judicial authority.
2. Headmaster Michael Kenned and distinguished guest, Chief Justice John Roberts (Michigan City native and La Lumiere graduate)
Run for the Roses
La Lumiere School, La Porte, held its annual fundraiser on May 4th at the Blue Chip Casino. Inspired by the Kentucky Derby, Run for the Roses was very well attended and provided a “taste” of the Derby Experience.
1. Left to right: Event chairs
David and Bridget Van Eekeren, Sheila and Mark Goble, and headmaster Kennedy
2. Left to right: Mindy and Bonnie Macius (Arlington Heights, IL) and Sam Briggs and Connie Bratton Briggs (New Carlisle)
3. Left to right: Liz Kaminski (La Porte), Mary Ivanovich (Chesterton) and Susie Yemc (Long Beach)
Taste of La Lumiere
The 22nd annual Taste of La Lumiere was held at the Marsch Gymnasium on April 5th. The tradition began when Dr. Miriam Nasidi and members of the school’s International Club got together and shared cuisine from their respective countries. This year the event drew nearly 600 guests sampling cuisine from 34 countries.
1. Left to right: Students Keith Miller (South Bend), Richy Cains (Michigan City) and Haley Luck (La Porte)
2. Hundreds of guests sampled cuisine from all over the world.
3. Left to right: Jenny Lee, a member of the Class of ’13 from Korea, and faculty member Dr. Nasidi, who originated the “Taste” 22 years ago
Art Attack Celebrates 20th Anniversary
This year marks the 20th year of Art Attack, a self-directed tour of galleries, artists’ studios, and businesses, all located in Harbor Country™, which display artwork and host demonstrations and artist receptions the last weekend of April.
1. Renowned singer/songwriter
and visual artist, Bonnie Koloc, performed selections from her latest CD at a
reception at the gallery of Fritz Olsen in Sawyer, MI. The work of author and artist Robert
Wolf was also featured at the gallery for Art Attack weekend, along with works
of sculptor Fritz Olsen and his wife Martha Cares, an accomplished vocalist who
is also a sculptor.
2. The bold and colorful work of painter, Kim Pruitt, was on display at Journeyman Distillery in Three Oaks throughout Art Attack weekend.
3. Twyla Butler and Leslie Shelhart at Local Color Gallery
Maple City Grand Prix
High-speed tunnel boats thrilled
spectators as they lined the shores of Stone Lake for the inaugural Maple City
Grand Prix, held in La Porte the last weekend of May. Indiana native Terry Rinker took the first place trophy in
the Formula One race. Rinker grew up in Syracuse and currently
resides in Tampa.
Crites Maule and her daughters Neilah and Jaidyn with La Porte Mayor Blair Milo
2. Rounding the bend on Stone Lake
3. Mike Seitz, President of the La Porte Chamber of Commerce, with Jack Arnett and Jason Miller of the La Porte County Convention and Visitors Bureau
4. Jane Daley (Center) with Jay and Donna Pouzar (seated)
5. Andy Serafin, Jr., Mike Dunlap, and Tiffany Bley, Downtown Director for City of La Porte
6. Terry Rinker, winner of the Formula One race
7. Claire Eastman with Tammy Wolf, the only female driver in the Maple City Grand Prix
Photos courtesy of Richard Warner
Visual Impressions Photography, Michigan City, IN
Send us your photos!
We would love to share photos from your social events (parties, openings, benefits, etc.) in our Splash section. When sending photos to email@example.com, we ask that you provide:
• High resolution images (.jpg format)
• The name of the event with a brief description
• Date and location
• First and last names of people in the photo (we cannot check spelling, so we ask that you take special care when providing names) and clearly link the name to the person’s location in the photo (i.e. left to right)
• Hometown of each person in the photo, if known